Saturday, August 25, 2007

BLOGPOLL ROUNDTABLE: OVERRATED/UNDERRATED

The first Blogpoll roundtable is about as simple as it can be.

Who is overrated?

I've already given the reasons I think No. 1 Southern Cal, No. 2 LSU, and No. 14 Georgia are overrated, so I won't belabor the point. (Brian at mgoblog also makes good points about the Dawgs.) Instead, the team called out here will be No. 6 Oklahoma.

To clarify, I'm not going to try to make the case that the Sooners aren't a good team. I have them ranked at No. 13. But I think No. 6 is a touch too high. They still have problems at QB. Granted, that wasn't a huge problem last year, but there was an heir apparent ready to step in when Bomar caught a case of viral stupidity.

The running game could, could take a step back. Even with the injury, Adrian Peterson gained 1,012 yards and 12 TDs on the ground -- can Allen Patrick pick up the load? It looks like he will, but there's a huge difference between starting five games and starting 12. And a subpar running game could lead to all kinds of problems with the passing game, etc.

On defense, the Sooners lose a lot of experience everywhere except the secondary.

Again, a good team. But there are just too many question marks to put them in the Top 10, must less place them just a step outside the Top 5.

Who is underrated?

Of course, it's a given that I'll say South Carolina is underrated, but I'm not going to complain too much. Spurrier has said over and over again that the Gamecocks have to earn respect, and I agree. I would say Auburn might be too low, but even I put them in the Top 10 on a provisional basis, assuming that Brandon Cox gains his composure, to I won't gripe.

I do wonder, though, if we're giving enough credit to unranked Oregon State. (Gasp! An SEC blog picking a Pac-10 team! What is the world coming to?) This is a team that won 10 games last year and knocked off Southern Cal. Yes, they lose a starting QB, but they bring back WR Sammie Stroughter, fresh off a 1,293-yard campaign, and Yvenson Bernard, who rushed for 1,307 yards and 12 TDs. The o-line should also be good. Plus, there's a lot of experience returning on defense. If somebody convinced me to drop one of the teams off my ballot -- or if I can just eyeball someone I no longer trust -- the Beavers are probably the first team to move into the Top 25.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger AgRyan04 said...

I'm not a Sooner fan by any means but I have to disagree.

Patrick certainly carried the load when Peterson went down last season and he will be assisted by uber-RSfreshman DeMarco Murray. He's going to be a legit Heisman candidate before he leaves Norman.

Also, their defensive backfield is going to be sick.

6:57 PM

 
Blogger David said...

Auburn has more O-line issues than anyone right now (including the Cocks)

7:50 PM

 
Blogger Brandon said...

Disagreements...

agryan04,

Again, I think the Sooners are good. I don't think they're going to be that good. And I agree that Patrick did a good job when starting five games, but that is categorically different than being the guy from beginning to end. It's a lot more abuse on your body.

david,

I don't know that it's possible to have more O-line issues than South Carolina, but I hear what you're saying. However, last year's unit gave up 35 sacks and Auburn still beat the eventual national champion (yeah, I know, officiating) before losing to the SEC West champion and Georgia. Again, if Cox is servicable this year, the Tigers could be tough.

8:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home