Wednesday, December 06, 2006

GATOR COMMITMENT TAKES MONEY; NOW IN CLEMSON'S SIGHTS

Imagine you're the athletics director at a Florida high school that is about to play for the state championship. Imagine you open the Miami Herald one morning and read this about your star running back:

Chris Rainey, Lakeland's star senior running back, told The Miami Herald he received sports jerseys and jewelry from a Lakeland clothing vendor in exchange for an autograph. He also said he received cash from an unknown elderly woman.
"I didn't even count it," Rainey said in a story published Tuesday. "When I walk around, people are buying me food, giving me money. I'm like, 'Damn, I'm glad I'm Chris Rainey. It's real nice to be me.'"

(HT: EDSBS, who gives the HT to half a dozen others)

Now, imagine the Miami Herald does a follow-up the next day reporting that said running back is under investigation by the Florida High School Athletic Association. What could be the worst possible sentence you could read in that follow-up piece?

"We stand by the reporting in the story," (Herald executive sports editor Jorge) Rojas said. "It's all on tape." [Emphasis added]

Upon hearing the news, Clemson began vigorously recruiting the Florida commitment.


Taking money from an old lady to play? That's our kind of RB.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home