Tuesday, October 10, 2006

M I D S E A S O N / R E P O R T : A U T O B I O G R A P H Y

AS C&F EMBARKS on its first midseason report, it strikes me that I have done precious little in the way of explaining what this site is about. To this point, I have mostly stated the obvious: This is a college football blog.

So, with the first six games reeled off by many teams, I'll take the first installment of the report to simply lay out (as succinctly as possible) what, exactly, I'm trying to do here.

First of all, you will not see sophisticated statistical analysis. Mostly because I don't know how to do it -- I am a journalist by trade. But also because I don't believe in that hocus-pocus.


Knows more about Excel than I do.

To clarify: Yes, there are some valuable insights about CFB that can be discerned by looking at numbers and spreadsheets and such. But there is an element of this game, perhaps more than any other, that defies all the numbers you want to run and the computers you want to use. Remember, statistics are what brought us the BCS.

You will see some game breakdown, but not a heck of a lot. This is for a couple of reasons. First of all, I think the guys on television do a fair (not great, but fair) job of providing that breakdown, and second, because I think any breakdown here comes across as a bit stale. Most of what I do in this area will be who was a key to a big game, etc. I will be doing a bit more of this in the future.

More than anything, this blog is supposed to be a humorous, enjoyable and slightly irreverant look at what it is that makes CFB so special: The pomp, the circumstance, the people. Yes, I'm going to every so often rip the polls, because it's fun. Yes, I'm going to mock the powers and would-be-powers that add a bit of ridiculousness to CFB. And, yes, I'm going to mercilessly attack the BCS while defending the idea of an MNC.

That's not to say that what happens on the field is not important to CFB: It's vital. That is, after all, the game.

But the one thing that separates CFB from the NFL is that it's more than Xs and Os. So I'll talk about what makes Rutgers a good team, and how great a story that is.

At least until someone shows me how to run a spreadsheet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home