FIVE REASONS -- Week 5
This one's for keeps. The Gamecocks probably won't win the game -- in fact, I wouldn't hope my breath -- but they have to prove they can compete, they can hang with a quality SEC opponent. (No, Mississippi State doesn't count.)
And with that...
FIVE REASONS USC WON'T WIN
1. Tommy Tuberville. Has the kind of cold-blooded emotion that should scare you very, very much. He's a ruthless killer. Ruthless. And he's been planning.
2. The brothers Iron. The fact that Kenny Irons didn't get to play for Lou Holtz was the bane of our existence last year. And now David Irons will likely line up at CB across from Sidney Rice.
3. Brandon Cox. Had a good year last year, with the only embarassment coming against Georgia Tech, and with a sucky game plan at that. This year, he's guided an offense that will beat you bloody unless your name is LSU. Then they can't do anything.
4. They're good. So far, going up against a team with more talent than Wofford has not turned out well for the Gamecocks.
5. They believe in defense. Also not been good for the Gameocks.
FIVE REASONS USC WILL WIN
1. Steve Spurrier. As whacked as Morris' column was, he got one thing right: Spurrier likes to do things that have never been done. And beating a No. 2 would be something that's never been done at USC.
2. Syvelle Newton. He's impressed even Spurrier. He's throwing well. He can, if necessary, improvise. Now, he's got a big stage to either go boom or bust.
3. A massive gust of wind. Tuberville's ears could start twitching at inopportune moments, knocking Cox's passes from the air.
4. Last year, 48-7. Spurrier also doesn't like getting whupped. Or "clobbered," as he put it recently. He won't let it happen again.
5. Who knows? There have been a lot of near-misses this year. It could happen. I doubt it, but then I would have laughed if you told me Colorado would lose by one.
PREDICTION: Auburn 38, South Carolina 24.
OUTCOME: 2-0. AGAINST SCORE: 0-2.