FIVE REASONS -- WEEK 3
1. It's Wofford. It's a 1-AA team. If the Gamecocks can't beat the Terriers, it's time to fold the tent for the year.
2. Syvelle Newton. The starting QB has actually thrown a touchdown this year, meaning he makes up exactly half the number of players involved in a TD pass so far.
3. Steve Spurrier. Despite having done no research, I can say with relative confidence that Spurrier has probably never even come close to losing to a 1-AA team.
4. The defense. On average, it has allowed just 9 points a game this year -- none to Mississippi State, and 18 to Georgia. Despite a few slip-ups in the UGA game, you can't blame Tyrone's guys for that loss.
5. A potentially Mitchell-less game. Which means no horrendously-timed INT.
1. Disaster. A meteor could fall from the sky and kill everyone on the South Carolina sideline. A hole in the earth could open up below the Gamecock's locker room.
2. Stupidity. Blake Mitchell could take every QB on the depth chart to Five Points and get them absolutely smashed an hour before the game.
3. Deception. Florida could decide to swing by the USC campus, don the Terriers' uniforms, and play in disguise following their game against Tennessee.
4. Underperformance. This is South Carolina. Nothing -- nothing -- is impossible on the downside.
5. Hubris. If you think you're going to coast through a game, you usually won't. Spurrier and Co. will have to keep the players focused, but they should be able to.
PREDICTION: South Carolina 42, Wofford 3
RECORD: Outcome -- 1-0-1 (Did not call Georgia game); Score (within a TD of each teams' score) -- 0-1-1